Can we all agree to stop buying the colorful bath bombs we see everywhere? Almost all bath bombs we can purchase online and in stores contain ingredients known to cause allergies, eczema, migraines, UTI’s, hyperactivity, infertility, hormone disruption, and even cancer.
So many of the ingredients in these readily available bath bombs, and every other product, are known to cause these issues in our babies, kids, and ourselves, and yet they’re totally normalized in our society.
$2.75 sounds like a great price point for stocking stuffers, birthday gifts, Easter basket goodies, etc., but be careful with all the hidden side effects. Is a cheap product worth major health problems? I would say no!
And, its soooooo easy and inexpensive to make your own bath bombs! I am so not a DIY gal and even I made these and plan on continuing to make them for myself and my daughters, and as gifts! The pictures are from my very first batch ever so I know I will get better each time! If I can do it, you can too!
Just like you would with food, take a moment to read the ingredients on your products before putting them in your cart, because what goes ON the body, ON the skin, our largest organ, goes IN the body.
Here’s your cheat sheet of what to start avoiding:
- Synthetic Colors and Dyes (all numbers)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)/Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Propylene Glycol
- PEGs (of any kind)
- Petroleum and Petroleum byproducts
- Methylisothiazolinone (MIT)
Want more information on creating a Healthy Home by switching out your toxic products for safe products? Watch this short video where I talk about this – https://youtu.be/BChmDL3RFuc, or message me at email@example.com for a more in depth class recording I can send you!
In the meantime here’s the recipe I used! Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups baking soda –
- 1 cup citric acid –
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil – , if you want them coconut smelling, use unrefined –
- Young Living Essential Oils of choice – I used 40 drops of lavender for my first batch and it is lovely. In the future I plan to make some muscle soak bath bombs, detox bath bombs, and other combinations with my essential oils – to snag some Young Living lavender or other oils click here –https://www.youngliving.com/us/en/referral/3136396
- If you’d like to change the colors of your bath bombs try using beet juice, blueberry juice, carrot juice, or these natural food colorings –
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
- Melt your coconut oil
- If you’re using food coloring, add it to the melted coconut oil and mix
- Now add your essential oils to the melted oil
- Add coconut oil mixture to the dry ingredients and mix
- Add mixture to your molds of choice
- Freeze for 15 – 20 minutes
- Remove from molds and enjoy
Here’s the molds I used –
These would be great for Valentine’s Day gifts –